Do I Have to Go to My Company's Doctor After a Work Injury?

You’ve been injured at work and you’re not sure what to do. Workplace injuries are all too common, unfortunately, and navigating the aftermath of a work injury can often be tricky. If you find yourself in this situation, you need a doctor who can answer your questions, ease your uncertainty, and, above all, put your interests first.

At Advanced Care Specialists in Racine, Wisconsin, our providers are dedicated to your health and well-being. We’re experienced in handling workers’ compensation injuries, so if you’ve been injured on the job, let us help you on the road to recovery.

Following a work accident 

Each work injury is different, of course. But, in general, if your injury is so severe that you need immediate medical attention, then you or your employer should do whatever is necessary to get you treated accordingly. What are your rights, though, once the emergency passes, or if it isn’t an emergency in the first place?

You have a right to see your own doctor

If you’ve been injured on the job in Wisconsin, you don’t have to go to your company’s doctor. You have the right to see a doctor of your choice. It’s a right that you’d be well advised to take advantage of.

Although your company’s doctor may be fully qualified and licensed, and may be certified to treat your particular injury, it doesn’t change the fact that they work for your employer and may not have your best interests at heart. Your company is obligated to pay your medical expenses, and it may serve their interests to see you released from care as soon as possible.

A note for federal employees

At Advanced Care Specialists, we can also help you navigate the workers’ compensation claim process. If you’re a federal employee, you’re covered under the Federal Employees’ Compensation Act, essentially workers’ compensation for US government employees.

While you’re free to choose any qualified physician in the wake of a workplace injury, your provider must have specialist knowledge of the federal claims process. The Advanced Care Specialists team has that knowledge.

The responsibilities of the injured

Though you’re the injured party, you still have certain responsibilities when it comes to reporting a work injury, in addition to choosing a doctor. Your tasks include:

If you’ve been injured at work, you need a doctor who can help you recover physically and guide you through the claims process. Call us or make an appointment right on our website today.

Request Appointment

You Might Also Enjoy...

Most Common On-the-Job Injuries

Every seven seconds, someone is injured at work — and every single time, it’s preventable. Discover the most common on-the-job injuries and how to steer clear from the fray.