Everything You Need to Know About Federal Work Injuries

Work injuries can occur in any industry. According to the National Safety Council (NSC), a worker is hurt every seven seconds. That’s the equivalent of 12,600 workers per day. The NSC also estimates that these injuries equate to more than 1 million lost workdays each year. Workers’ compensation can help you get the care you need for work-related injuries, but if you’re a federal worker, you might be eligible for federal workers’ compensation.

Workers’ compensation can be complicated, but when you come to Advanced Care Specialists, our Department of Labor experts can help you get the care you deserve. Not only do we specialize in treating federal workers’ injuries, but we also make sure your case and necessary paperwork are handled appropriately.

In this article, we’ll explore what federal work injuries are and how we can help you if you get hurt.

What is a federal work injury?

Even if you follow every safety precaution, it’s still possible to sustain an injury at work, and that applies to federal employees, too. A federal work injury is defined as an injury or occupational-related disease sustained by a federal worker due to their work. 

Now, we’ll take a look at the two parts of this definition: federal workers and occupational injuries.

Federal worker

Anyone who works within one of the three branches of the United States government — that’s the executive, legislative or judicial branch — is a federal worker. There are more than two million federal workers in more than 350 different occupations, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Occupational injuries

Some of the most common work-related injuries include:

If you’re a federal worker and are injured at work, it’s important to work with a federal workers’ compensation specialist. There are two parts to your treatment: receiving medical treatment and filing in the proper paperwork to receive other benefits, such as repayment for lost wages. 

What is the Federal Employees’ Compensation Act?

The Federal Employees' Compensation Act (FECA) provides compensation benefits to civilian employees of the United States for injury or occupational-related disease. The injuries must be sustained while performing your job or through an employment-related disease.

If you file a federal workers’ compensation claim, you may be eligible for:

In order to receive any benefits, the Department of Labor will require a few things:

In addition, the claim must be filed within three years of the injury, according to FECA.

What to do if you’re injured at work

If you’re injured, it’s important to seek medical attention immediately. Not only will swift treatment help you feel better, but reporting an injury quickly will make your workers’ compensation case stronger. 

Depending on the type of injury you have, we can provide comprehensive case management, conservative pain management, physical rehabilitation, and musculoskeletal strengthening therapy. Should you need additional care, we can refer you to the right specialist. 

When you’re injured, getting relief is your top priority. At Advanced Care Specialists, we’ll help you feel better and also help you get the other benefits you’re due. We are FECA-compliant and experts regarding the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs. 

Don’t wait to file a workers’ compensation claim. To learn more about your options, book an appointment online or over the phone with Advanced Care Specialists today.

You Might Also Enjoy...

Dos and Don’ts of Work Injuries

When it comes to a workers’ compensation claim, there are a few things that can hurt your case. Read on to learn common mistakes you should avoid and what you should do instead.

Why You Shouldn't Wait to Report a Work Injury

If you get injured on the job, you need to report it right away. If you wait to report it, you may delay getting the medical care you need and may have trouble getting a workers’ compensation claim approved. Read on to learn more.